I feel the need to go back to the roots of my role as coordinator of EUMANS and start to use the instruments of collaboration we agreed to use with the Activation Agreement. In this thread, I will update you on the political and strategical organization of the EUMANS 1st Congress in Warsaw. Only sharing this process transparently and publicly can allow other activists to take part in what is going to be a difficult political and organizational challenge. And I hope everyone wants to use this space to share ideas, perspectives, contacts. This co-creative process is the only way we can "make change happen " - with our bodies, minds and hearts. And knowledge.
It is not rhetoric to say that there is urgency and political need for a Congress of European Citizens in Warsaw.
Organizing a Ciitzens congress in Warsaw for democracy and sustainability is urgent because of what is happening on the border between Poland and Belarus, where thousands of migrants are literally hostages in the woods, haunted by the military, because of the fight for the electoral consensus and power that derives from the decisions around migrations and human rights.
It is urgent because two women died because they were refused an abortion surgery. Dead. Because they weren't allowed by the law. And now the Polish pro-abortion movement is collecting signatures for a bill of popular initiative to fully legalise abortion.
However, that bill of popular initiative is already in danger if we look at threats to the Judiciary System independence and the correct balance of power between the Government, the Parliament, and the Judiciary power. As Judge Monika Frakowiac (="https://www.iustitia.pl/"Iustitia Polska, Medel) reminded us during the 4th November Meeting on Rule of Law and Poland "everything at a certain point gets to Judiciary". [Watch the full video here]
Where we start from - the Concept Note of the Citizens Congress in Warsaw
The decision of holding the Congress in Warsaw was taken by the EUMANS Members Assembly in September. In the final statement, we highlighted for areas of political goals for democracy and sustainability and in the framework of the Sustainable Development Goals".
- the ecological transition of taxes, for an economic and ecological revolution that reaches the global level from Europe through the shift of taxes from work to the consumption of scarce natural resources to stem climate change.
the "portability of rights" within the European Union - from the legalization of substances, to egalitarian marriage, to end-of-life rights - as a key to building a European citizenship that starts from the exercise of civil, human and political rights
the development of a "European digital citizenship", through the creation of civic artificial intelligence systems and interoperability protocols of digital platforms
knowledge and accessibility of institutional participation tools at any level
Feel free to integrate the documents with ideas, contacts, possibilities, ...
@Roberto Mancuso @endriuz do you think this is a use case for EUMANS Wiki? Starting to build it from the concept note of the Congress?
Next Steps for the organisation of the Congress in Warsaw
Sunday the 14th of November we will meet in Bruxelles with some activists who joined the meeting at 6 PM at Leopold Cafè Press in Av. de Tervueren 107
who want to get involved in the preparation of the Congress:
The purpose of the meeting will be to come up with proposals on how to better prepare the Congress:
- How to present the Congress publicly so that it is clear what are the goals and what is the output we want to achieve
- Structure the different topics we want to cover in the Congress around the four aforementioned pillars and prepare a scheme of action based on: political goal, citizens and organizations in Europe trying to achieve that goal, possible interactions from here to the Congress, possible proposals for joint actions and participatory democracy instruments to be activated to be further discussed in warsaw
- Overview of the resources available thanks to the ongoing initiatives and cooperations
- Define organizational milestones and political urgency monitoring
We will share here the output of the meeting for being discussed on Thursday 18th of November at 6 PM CET during the next EUMANS Weekly Meeting, where we could also discuss:
- Next Eumans Assembly for members (to be held before the 15th of December) and Political Analysis on the role of Poland in the current global and European framework (end of COP26 - and the proposal for a global carbon pricing Marco Cappato launched at the European Parliament/Migrants Crisis/increase in the Eu Countries legalizing euthanasia and improving end of life treatments and other "legalizations" starting from cannabis)
Please use this thread to .... be part of this incredible project.